The Soap Factory is one of the landmarks of the East Bank portion of the Saint Anthony Falls Historic District. Originally built in 1883 as a one-story warehouse, it has evolved and expanded over the years and is now one of the Twin Cities’ premier gallery spaces for emerging artists. Unfortunately, the arts organization’s expansion plans have long been limited by the building, which lacks heating and has assorted other significant problems.
As an early step in its long-term plan for organizational growth and expansion, The Soap Factory hired MacDonald & Mack to create a Historic Structures Report for the building. This included research into the evolution of the building and the role it has played in the broader context of riverfront development and redevelopment. It also included complete building documentation and assessment to allow The Soap Factory to understand the underlying problems with the structure and potential solutions to these concerns.
The Soap Factory